Monday, March 30, 2015

7. Prague/Dresden

Thursday, March 26, I took my first train ride to Prague with the rest of the UNK group. Upon arriving we got to our hostel and took a tour of the city. I had already been to my Prague with my parents, so I kind of already knew my way around, but this weekend, they had Easter markets and decorations set up. It looked like a different city, there were so many tourists, way more than when my parents and I came.
Our group wandered to the Charles Bridge and toured the Prague Castle. We didn't have any tour guides when I was with my parents, so this time it was nice to learn about the historical side of the castle. We had free time afterwards, so a group of us decided to trek up to the monastery. It was quite the uphill walk. But once we reached it, the view was definitely worth it. Prague is such a pretty place to admire from above. 
View from the Monastery
We then wanted to go to the Petrin Tower, so we climbed up that, and got another wonderful view of the beautiful city. After walking 10 miles, a couple girls and I decided we wanted to treat ourselves. So we found a Thai massage place and choose to get a fish pedicure. We had to stick our legs inside a fish tank, while these little fish ate away dead skin on your feet and legs. It was the most unsettling thing I have ever done in my life! I had to sit through it for 15 minutes, I almost couldn't take it, and it was so unbearable! After a long day we headed for bed.    
This was my face 99% of that 15 minutes

            Early the next day we headed for Dresden, Germany. We toured the Martin Luther church, a museum, and other sightseeing attractions. We were able to climb to the top of the Martin Luther church, the sight was so pretty, but no pictures could really do the justice. Actually, any pictures that I have taken from this trip have not done the justice of how beautiful this country is! We were only in Germany for 5 hours, it was a quick day trip, but I can now say that I have been to Germany.
            We then headed back to Prague for the night. In the morning we toured the Jewish Head Quarters. There was a memorial set up there with Jewish children’s drawings, one topic asked was, “what do you miss from home?” It was sad to see that little kids drew their own bed, or drew their mom. It brought tears to my eyes. We also went into an old Jewish Ghetto, and painted on every wall was a name of a Jew that had died from the camps. All together there was 85,000 names! It was a shocking experience. We then headed back home for Olomouc. I feel weird calling that my home, but it is for the next two months! Next stop is London :)


64 more days until I come home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment