Wednesday, June 10, 2015

8. Příští zastávka: USA (Next stop: USA)

Příští zastávka was a phrase announced before every single stop on the trams and it meant next stop. I think that might be one of the Czech phrases that is forever going to be in my head. This past week our group, for the last time, traveled to Bohemia. Our first stop was Litomysl, where we toured the castle and had a historical tour of the town. We also got to view a small local brewery and learn how they make their beer. We stayed there for one night and headed to Kutna Hora the next day. In Kutna Hora we were able to explore their silver mines and the St. Barbara Cathedral. This cathedral was decorated with bones from humans who were killed by the plague.


St. Barbara's Cathedral


 Next stop was České Budějovice, where the Budweiser brewery was located. We took a tour of the factory and got to try some freshly brewed beer! Our last and final stop was Český Krumlov, we toured the theater, castle, and went rafting on our final day. The rafting was my favorite activity in that trip. We were split into groups of six and we were able to go at our own pace. In total it took about two and a half hours. Although throughout that whole trip the weather wasn't the greatest, it was still a fun last hurrah for the group. Our last night we had an awards banquet. Our group decided that for each person we would nominate three superlatives that fit them the best, and then we each voted on our favorite. Mine were: 1. Most likely to tell a bad joke; 2. Energetic; 3. Most likely to steal your soul.  They voted on number 3 because of my red/ginger hair.

Ready to raft!
We finally had to part our own ways after three months, it was really sad, especially for us eight that had gotten really close. Some I will be able to see again in Kearney or Lincoln, but others this might be our final goodbye.. I enjoyed this group a lot, we were all so different but got along really well.
Although I was scared to come here at first and be adventurous, I'm so glad I did. I will never forget all the awesome memories I made on this trip. I have learned so much about myself and think I have changed in some ways because of this adventure. Now, instead of telling you all of the things I'm going to miss, which is almost everything, I'll tell you the top 10 things I won't miss:
1. Paying for water
2. Paying for the toilet
3. Paying for ketchup
4. Language barrier
5. Living out of backpack every weekend
6. Not having ranch
7. Not seeing my family
8. Neředín dorm beds
9. European body odor
10. Airport regulations/security

A group of us was also able to meet a wonderful American family who just settled here in Olomouc. The mom heard us talking in a cafe and was so excited to hear English again and immediately welcomed us into their beautiful home. We were able to meet their three kids and they cooked for us twice. It was so nice to have home cooked meals again and to be in a family atmosphere. We all agreed we would keep in touch.
Two of their wonderful kids :) 
Olomouc will forever hold a special place in my heart. I hope to come back to Olomouc one day and maybe some other countries! We were showed this video at our very first orientation in Olomouc. I didn't understand the meaning and depth of it at first, but after spending three months here, it all makes sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1nHw2xhw3M
Thanks for the memories :)

No comments:

Post a Comment